If you are recovering from an illness or surgery and no longer need acute care but need more help before successfully returning home, you may benefit from skilled care at Winneshiek Medical Center. Most insurance plans cover this level of care.
Why choose Winneshiek Medical Center for skilled care?
There are multiple local options for skilled level of care. Some benefits of choosing skilled care at Winneshiek Medical Center are:
- Winneshiek Medical Center is a Top 100 Critical Access Hospital in the nation.
- Staff are able to administer certain intravenous medications that long term care facilities cannot give.
- Winneshiek Medical Center offers an intense rehabilitation program seven days a week to accelerate your recovery.
- Winneshiek Medical Center offers post-acute nursing care for critical patients (example: heart surgeries).
- Registered nurses are available 24/7, with staffing levels to quickly meet your needs.
- A dietitian consult is provided upon admission and as you need throughout your stay, and you choose from a full dining menu for every meal.
- Physicians are on-site in case of an emergency.
If you have surgery or are hospitalized at another facility and want to return to Decorah for skilled care, talk to your discharge planner or nurse at that facility. Let them know you want to return to Winneshiek Medical Center for skilled care.
To learn more information about our services, call Winneshiek Medical Center and ask to speak with the Skilled Care Coordinator: 563-382-2911.
Let us help you achieve a rapid transition back to independent living.
What is Skilled Care?
Skilled care offers a step between acute care and home. When receiving skilled care, you receive daily care by a Winneshiek Medical Center nurse and/or therapists. Although skilled care is offered in a hospital setting, you are encouraged to participate in activities, perform your own daily care to maintain independence, and dress in your own clothes, if your condition permits.
A WMC team works with you to plan the most appropriate patient-centered follow-up care and transition. The plan focuses on meeting physical, spiritual and social needs. The team meets with you and your family or other caregivers on a weekly basis to ensure individual plans are carried out. Your care team includes doctors, registered nurses, licensed practical nurses, certified nursing assistants, social workers, rehabilitation professionals such as physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapists, pharmacists, dietitians, and, if requested, spiritual leaders.
Patient and Family Benefits
Skilled care allows the care team to provide personalized care to each patient, prepare you for a successful transition to independent living and to help prevent re-admittance. At WMC, you will be able to receive skilled care closer to home, which makes it easier for family and friends to participate in the recovery process by attending therapy sessions and learning how to help upon returning home. Patient rooms are well equipped and comfortable.
Winneshiek Medical Center skilled care teams consult with professionals from referring acute care hospitals, including Mayo Clinic, Mayo Clinic Health System and Gundersen Health System should questions or concerns arise.
Services at WMC
- Nursing care offered 24 hours/day, 7 days/week, with staffing levels to quickly meet your needs
- Examples of services include wound care, respiratory support, intravenous treatment, stroke rehabilitation, orthopedic rehabilitation, pain management and complex tube feedings
- A therapy program is offered 7 days a week
- Rehabilitation services include physical, occupational, speech and respiratory therapies, and cardiac rehabilitation
Full Access to Hospital Services
- Laboratory, X-ray and other special services are easily accessible
- Staff will help find equipment and other resources that might be needed upon returning home
- For patients who cannot return home, staff will assist in finding another option for continued care
- Leisure activities and spiritual programs are available, based on your needs and interests
When the discharge planner or social worker at your surgical facility talks to you about skilled care, request placement at Winneshiek Medical Center.
In This SectionReturn to Inpatient Services
Skilled Care – Nursing and rehabilitation to meet your special needs
It was a beautiful spring day when Paul Johnson climbed on his tractor for some morning farm work. But Paul’s plans changed in an instant when a log he’d been pushing bucked back, slamming into the back of his neck and sending him somersaulting off the tractor.