Students – Clinical
Preceptorships, Internships, and Clinical Rotations
We offer a limited number of in-depth opportunities for the clinical student. There are additional requirements in order to be placed at Winneshiek Medical Center for a clinical experience or internship.
Note: We reserve the right to prioritize placing our own employees before filling outside requests.
Thank you so much for helping place me at Winneshiek Medical Center! I feel lucky to have been able to learn from your staff and providers.Erin
If you would like to participate in a clinical preceptorship or rotation or an internship (clinical or non-clinical), please complete our application for consideration. This may be faxed to Education @ 563-382-1962 or emailed to the Education Department. Please also send a cover letter detailing your request, along with your current resume.
If the experience is for class credit, a contract with the school and program must be in place prior to the experience. Generally, we work directly with schools to receive placement for internships, preceptorships, and clinical rotations, but not always.
Students must participate in an orientation to our facility and submit the required paperwork for the orientation. After reviewing the presentation, complete the Orientation Packet and send the completed packet to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clinical students and interns must have a clear background check. Your school should provide the Education Department with the required information. Background checks required include:
- Child and dependent adult abuse registry checks (SING)
- Criminal background check
- National Sex Offender and Sanction check
- Any discrepancy to the above background checks will be thoroughly reviewed by the Education Department, Human Resources Department and Administrative Officer before a student is placed here.
- Additionally, if during the time the student is on assignment, knowledge surfaces that criminal charges have been filed against a student, we reserve the right to end a student’s experience if the infraction is in conflict with the care that we deliver or our mission, vision or values.
- Proof of immunizations is required, including:
- Baseline Mantoux (TB) screening
- MMR or titers for Rubeola, Rubella, and Mumps if student did not receive 2 MMRs
- Hepatitis B, titer or signed waiver
- Tdap (TDP accepted in place of Tdap)
- Date of Chicken Pox Disease or last Varicella Vaccination
- Flu Vaccination when shadow will be between November 1 and March 31, with shot occurring at least 2 weeks prior to experience date
- COVID-19 vaccine
- If you have additional proof of vaccinations not on this list, that information is welcome.
Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Proof of American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS for Healthcare Provider) certification is required for most clinical students.